Montag, 11. November 2013

Vocabulary.com → Epic?

What I do to improve my English skills:

Due to the fact that for me, it is impossible, financially and time-wise to spend a few days in the UK or the US several times a month, i have come to a solution, which helps me enormously.

I started off by creating a vocabulary.com account, as Frank suggested, and started learning the porter words online. For me, this method is by far the most comfortable to do, simply because i can sit in my cushioned chair, can lay my feet on my PC-tower, in the left hand some pretzels or a Red Bull, and in the right hand my mouse.

As time goes on the words to learn get harder and harder, and in the beginning there was the possibility to have a joker, like the "Word in the wild", where you can see the word in context, or the definition, which made it easy to get it right if your brain refrains from working. But just as i expected, this was only available, either for a certain amount of time, or for a certain tries, because when it got to the harder words, there were no more jokers to choose from.

I did some exercises over the weeks, but lately i got into doing it, and tried to achieve something to brag about. So i sat down, started spelling-beeing the words, when it came to my mind. I wanted to get at least on the front page of the leader board.That meant doing a whole lot of exercises, but eventually i managed to get my score and i made it to number 43 on the daily leader board.

→ Proof at the bottom of the page. 

Another task that i had in mind was to start a vocabulary book. In the beginning I thought i would pull this through, but i just cannot make it. For me, it is just to boring to do...
So i had to search an alternative. And i found it on Vocabulary.com. I created a new list, and added to this point every word that I did not fully understand. It is still kind of odd to add words to it, because i have to admit that I am to stupid to know, and this scratches on my ego.


Summarizing, i still have to do a LOT of vocabulary training to extend my language skills, but i think that i can already see slight improvements here and there.


That's it folks.
Have a nice day and ciao!


P.S.: The proof as promised.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen